Friday, September 26, 2008

Fall Faves

Why is everyone doing these top ten lists now? What are we, Dave Letterman?
But ok- Far be it from me to go against the grain (ahem). So here it is.


#10. The frosty, clear mornings we get in the gorge. The windshield is coated, the grass is crunchy and my cup of coffee sends steam in a spiral rise upward as I walk to the car for the 1.25 minute drive up the hill to school.

#9. Children with backpacks bigger than they are.

#8. The way this sleepy, small town comes to life when school starts up again. Kids everywhere. Moms and sometimes dads walking back and forth in the early morning crispness or the warm afternoon haze of autumn.

#7.I hate to say it, it's so standard, but I have to. I live in an orchard town, orchards have tree's and tree's have leaves. And in the fall, when the orchardist's have harvested their apples and pears, the valley is a crimson carpet stretching to the east and south. Stout, white barns rise up in the center of the fields like stark stamps. It's charming and makes the leaves, if possible, appear even redder.

#6. The guy in town who sells fresh pressed apple cider from the back of his truck. I've never bought any as I have a strict policy about buying food products out of the back of pick-up trucks, but it's a nice thing to see anyhow.

#5.
The stores in town decorating their old storefronts with leaves and pumpkins and hosting the annual halloween trick or treat fest. So fun.

#4. Mallow Creme Pumpkins. They speak for themselves.

#3. Six million turkey dishes made randomly and often from September to Thanksgiving.
Tonight's favorite- Butternut-Turkey bake. Recipe below.

#2.Having an excuse to wear my super soft and squishy bathrobe in the mornings as I get the kids ready for school. I'm trying to devise a plan that will enable me to wear it throughout the day, but am still working out the kinks in that one.

#1.And my #1 favorite thing about fall? Mexican Pumpkin candles from World Market. If you don't own any- go get some. You won't be sorry.

ok- so for the Butternut-Turkey bake, here's what you do-

halve one ripe Butternut squash (the oranger in color, the riper and less watery) and rub with a little EVOO. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake at 375 - for an hour, or until tender. Scoop out pulp and place in mixing bowl and mash.
Sautee 1 cup onions in real butter until translucent and beginning to caramelize and add 1 cup cooked turkey. Cook until heated through.
Add 2 cups seasoned croutons, whatever flavor you like, and 2 cups (1 can) chicken broth. Heat to bubbling.
Add Squash.
Place mixture in casserole dish and bake at 375- for 20 - 25 minutes or until bubbling.
Sprinkle about 1/2 cp. shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top and bake until cheese is melted.
It's delicious and surprisingly low fat- as long as you don't count the cheese, which no one does. ;)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh, good list...! whatever the provocation was.

exactly what's wrong with a guy making cider from the back of his truck, huh?? you got something against people living/working from their vehicles do you?? *shifty look*

especially when your candles from "child slave labor of the world market" are made under god knows what conditions, none of them humane. mm-HMM.

listen, you broke your no-cooking rule for what sounds like a very delicious reason. now go break your no-cider-from-the-back-of-trucks rule and prepare to be amazed! it is ambrosia.

melissa said...

Oh, right. The no cooking rule. I forgot about that. It is my eternal problem. I set very high standards for myself and then I forget what they were.
Oh well. The damage has been done. I might as well go make a cheesecake.

i8acarrot said...

Hello!

Unknown said...

I'm totally making that turkey dish. And as neither Greg or Nick will touch something made with vegetables (haha) I will get to eat it all myself. Ha!

Thats *my* cooking rule. Muah.